Women’s soccer hosts Senior Day vs. Bucknell
BOSTON- In honor of the seven seniors and three redshirt seniors on the team, Boston University’s women’s soccer program prepares for Senior Day on Saturday (October 15) and welcomes Bucknell to Terrier Town. The opening kick is scheduled for 1 p.m
BU (15 points) and Bucknell (13 points) currently sit first and second, respectively, in Patriot League standings with three games remaining in the regular season. The Terriers have won five straight games while the Bison have been unbeaten in five of their last six contests.
Before the game, BU Athletics will honor seniors Gretchen Bennett, Ashley Buck, Sophia Wald, Marli Rajacich, Julianna Sturemann, Kayla Rossand Geovanna Pereira. Redshirt Seniors Mikayla Alcorn, Amy Thompsonand Jenna Oldham is also recognized. The Seniors’ Day Celebration begins at approximately 12:45 p.m
- BU claim a 2-1 away win at Holy Cross on Wednesday (12 Oct).
- second grader Morgan Fagan scored her fifth goal of the season as team captain after just 1:36 into the game.
- Eleven minutes after the Crusaders leveled the game, Oldham buried a 26th-minute free-kick for the game-winning goal.
- Fagan is riding a four-game point streak. BU have won six of their last seven competitions as Fagan registers a point.
- The Terriers have three student-athletes in the top 10 in points in the Patriot League, led by Fagan’s 13 points (third).
- Junior Abigail McNulty (10 points, T-6) and Thompson (nine points, T-8) are the others. BU and Bucknell together occupy six of the top 10 spots in this category.
- Sophomore goaltender during league play Celia Brown is fourth in the PL with a goals-against average of .57 and a save percentage of .867.
- Thompson and Fagan are second in PL action each with three goals.
- As of Thursday (10/13), BU is 22nd in the country with 6.73 corner kicks per game.
- The Terriers will secure a postseason berth in the Patriot League Tournament with a win on Saturday.
- As a group, the BU league of 2023 has edged their Patriot League opponents 15-9-4 in the regular season so far for a .607 win ratio.
- The Bison are 4-1-1 in the league, having last played at home to Loyola Maryland on October 12 in a goalless draw.
- Since a 4-0 setback against Navy on Sept. 16, Bucknell has beaten his competition 11-3 (4-1-1) in six games.
- Abby Gearhart leads the Bison and Patriot Leagues with six goals and 14 points this season.
- Patriot League Preseason Offensive Player of the Year Rylee Donaldson is close behind with four goals and three assists.
- Jenna Hall has played the most minutes in goal, with .86 goals against average and .820 saves.
- Bucknell, the reigning Patriot League champion, should finish second in the preseason poll, three points ahead of BU. The Bison went 11-8-3 and fell to Rutgers in the opening round of the NCAA tournament.
- Saturday marks the 13th all-time meeting between BU and Bucknell in a streak that began when BU joined the Patriot League in 2013.
- The Bison hold a 6-5-1 advantage in the rivalry, having won six of the last eight contests.
- BU’s last win in the matchup came in 2018, a 2-0 win in Boston.
- In last year’s regular season, the teams drew 2-2 in Lewisburg, Pa. Pereira and Lili Matthews each scored a goal, the latter at 2:31, remaining on a pass from Oldham.
- Bucknell, the fourth seed in last year’s tournament, defeated the top seeded Terriers 1-0 on November 7 for the PL title.
- BU travels to Loyola, Maryland for its regular-season road finals on Saturday (October 22). Opening kick is scheduled for 2 p.m