Match Preview: Maryland vs. FDU in the NCAA First Round
Maryland (10-3-5, 4-0-4) vs. FDU (10-5-3, 6-0-2)
November 17, 2022
6:00 p.m. EDT
COLLEGE PARK, Md. — The Maryland men’s soccer team hosts NEC champion Fairleigh Dickinson in the first round of the NCAA tournament Thursday night. Ludwig Field’s kick-off is scheduled for 6 p.m., the match will be streamed on ESPN+.
THIS WEEK’S STORYLINES
ncaa tournament notes
- Maryland is entering its 22nd straight NCAA tournament, the second longest active streak in the country, and its 40th NCAA tournament overall. With a win, the Terps would face 14th-seeded Cornell in the second round on Sunday.
- The Terrapins boast a 10-3-5 record and won the Big Ten regular season title after going undefeated in conference play (4-0-4). The Terps were eliminated by Indiana in the semifinals of the Big Ten tournament.
- Maryland has secured its 28th straight fall season with more than 10 wins. Maryland’s last fall season was without a 10+ win Sasho Cirovsky1993 his first year as head coach.
- The Terrapins captured the Big Ten Regular Season Championship in a dramatic final day of conference games. Stefan Copettis The 87th-minute header gave the Terps a 1-1 draw with Indiana and secured them the title.
- The Terps finished the conference season undefeated for the first time since 2016, which was also their last Big Ten Regular Season title. They have won a total of six Big Ten trophies since entering the league in 2014.
- Maryland has won a total of eight conference tournament championships in its history, including five consecutive wins between 2012 and 2016. The Terps have not reached the finals of the Big Ten tournament since winning the title in 2016.
- The terps are 47-20-7 below Sasho Cirovsky in the NCAA tournament. The Terrapins have won three national titles since 2000, tied with Stanford and Indiana for the most in the nation in that span.
- Maryland has one remaining player from its 2018 National Championship team: Nick Richardson (Redshirt Year). The Terps have 16 players who have played in NCAA tournament games in their careers, 15 at the Division I level and German Giammattei at level III. Giammattei is the only player on the Maryland roster to have played past the second round at any level in a match.
FIND HIS VOICE
- Former Maryland players continue to thrive on and off the field in the professional ranks, and Zack Steffen is no exception.
- Maryland hosted its Michigan State Match in partnership with the VOYCENOW Foundations, established by Steffen and former Terps teammate Alex Crognale. VOYCENOW was formed in direct response to the Black community’s struggle for equality following the tragic murder of George Floyd. The organization is a non-profit organization that brings together athletes from around the world to use their platforms to advocate for equality for all. donate to VOYCENOW.
- The new documentary Finding His Voyce follows Steffen’s rise through the lens of his growth as a player and person at Maryland Men’s Soccer, one of the finest college programs in history. Steffen, his mother Stefanie, head coach of Maryland Sasho Cirovsky, ESPN analyst and Maryland Hall of Famer Taylor Twellman, among others, helps tell the story of Steffen’s remarkable endorsement as a soccer star and community leader. Check out the documentation here.
30 Seasons of Sasho
- Hall of Fame head coach Sasho Cirovsky is on the sidelines in his 30th season as head coach of the Terps. Cirovski has led the Terps to a trio of national titles (2005, 2008, 2018) and 16 conference titles.
- Cirovski’s 30 appearances in NCAA tournaments ranks first in NCAA Division I football history (28 in Maryland, two in Hartford). He has led the Terps to nine College Cup appearances.
- The star players who came through College Park during Cirovski’s tenure are a list unparalleled in college football. He has produced 12 full USA internationals and made Maryland the only school with alums in the last four men’s FIFA World Cups.
- Watch All-Access: 30 Years of Sasho
20 squadrons of crew
- Maryland men’s soccer celebrates 20 seasons of The Crew, its student support division, in 2022. The September 2 game against Denver served as the 20 Seasons of The Crew game.
- Fans can also get a glimpse into the origins and evolution of college football’s most notorious fan section at All-Access: The Crew. The mini-documentary can be seen below.
The Story of Chris Rindov
- Maryland Senior Center Back Chris Rindow has risen from walk-on to captain and has emerged as one of the top defenders in the country.
- The second episode of All-Access explores Rindov’s story, from someone who intended to play club football in Maryland to a stalwart player in the Terps back line. Check out the piece here.
Comments are closed.