Header sends # 20 Amherst 1-0 over men’s soccer
AMHERST, trade fair (September 28, 2021) – Seniors Aedan Boriotti made two saves and the Stevens Institute of Technology leveled with # 20 Amherst College before falling 1-0 in a non-conference match on a damp Hitchcock field on Tuesday.
The header of the German Giammattei in the 72nd minute ultimately turned out to be the difference for the nationally classified mammoths, which improved to 6: 1 year-on-year. Earlier in the day, Amherst got back in 20th place in the United Soccer Coaches survey. Stevens dropped to 5-3-1 in the last Ducks non-conference. The Tuesday matinee was the first meeting between the programs since 2008.
After a positional battle that resulted in only one shot on goal in the first half, Amherst increased the offensive pressure in the second half, almost doubling his shooting performance in the first half before breaking through in the 72nd minute. After a duck foul, Amherst’s Gabe Gitler directed a serve towards the net, where Giammattei used his six-foot frame to jump across the field and steer the ball back over the six to the far post, just out of reach of a jumping Stevens defender.
Stevens had three quality attempts in the final minutes to force extra time. PhD student Tyler Dressman His shot was blocked in the 86th minute, resulting in a corner for the Ducks. Senior Adam Silva then he directed his ministry to a dangerous area and junior Sean Ryans Attempted shot was caught by Amherst goalkeeper Bernie White. Senior Matthew Pinho had the final shot of the fight in the 89th minute, but White scored his third save of the day to keep the result.
In the numbers
- Amherst had a 14-6 lead in shots, although the lead in shots on goal was only 5-3. Giammattei led both teams with five shots, while Silva went for the Ducks with two shots.
- Each team scored three corners, which is the fifth time in nine games that the Ducks and their opponents have received the same number of corners.
- Stevens was credited with two team saves.
From the sidelines – head coach Dale Jordan
- “It was an excellent game to play in. Thanks to Amherst; they are a top program with great players and an incredible coach.”
- “I was happy with our competition and the way they dealt with their set pieces. We are now concentrating on the start of the conference game against a well-organized DeSales team.”
- Men’s Soccer opens the Conference Play against DeSales on October 2nd at the DeBaun Athletic Complex.
- The Ducks beat the Bulldogs 2-1 in the only meeting between the programs on October 22, 2019. The win secured the Ducks a postseason spot.
- Links to live stats and videos are available on StevensDucks.com.
Facebook: “Like” Stevens Athletics