Celera Barnes wins women’s 100m 4x800m relay sets USC record in Texas relays
Athletics | March 26, 2022
Celera Barnes won the women’s 100m, the women’s 4x800m relay set a school record and Ernest Sears III posted his best-ever outdoor personal best in the men’s high jump on the final day of the 94th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays today (March 26) at Mike A. Myers Track & Soccer Stadium in Austin, Texas.
- Celera Barnes won the women’s 100m final with a wind assisted PR of 10.82 (+2.8w). Samira Moody also finished third with a windy PR of 11.08 (+2.8 W). That compared well with the 100m invitational winner, Olympian Gabrielle Thomas, who ran 10.92 (+2.9 w).
- The Trojans got a nice day off with the women’s 4 x 800m relay Jania Brown, Gigi Maccagnini, Jemima Russell and Alyssa Brewer in third place with a school record of 8:38.89. Brewer had an anchor time of 2:06.02. The previous USC record was 8:45.24 set in 1987 by Michelle Taylor, Julie Seleine, Elise Lyon and Lesley Noll.
- Ernest Sears III tied his best-ever outdoor high jump mark of 7-5.25 (2.27 m) to place third in the men’s high jump Section A. He did that at the 2019 Pac-12 Championships.
- Omotade Ojora was third in the men’s 110m hurdles final with a wind assisted time of 13.52 (+2.6W).
- Jasmine Jones had a wind assisted time of 12.85 (+2.5w) and placed fourth in the women’s 100m hurdles.
- Karlee Freeman placed fifth in the women’s discus, Section A, with a top score of 174-5 (53.17).
- The men’s 4x400m relay John Blockburger, Nicholas Ramey, Zach Shinnick and Vonste Burnett Fifth place in the university competition with a time of 3:06.18.
- USC Men’s 4 x 100m Relay Gavin Schur, Brendon Steward, Eric Allen Jr. and Blockburger was sixth with a time of 39.55.
- The Trojan Women’s 4 x 100m relay of Barnes, Moody, Chioma Okonkwo and Jan’Taija Ford also sixth with a time of 44.00.
The Trojans track team will next compete April 1-2 at the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, California.