Adams overtime winner leads lacrosse past Oregon
EUGEN, ore – Sun Devil Lacrosse picked up another dramatic win, defeating Oregon 11-10 in overtime on Friday night at Pape Field.
Arizona State No. 23 found themselves in a hard fought matchup from the opening draw, with the host Ducks proving to be formidable opponents. head coach Tim McCormack‘s Club found a way to move up to 8-6 in the season and started with a 6-2 program best in conference play.
The Maroon & Gold have Carley Adams largely credited for the win as they took over the game. The attacker finished with seven points, scoring four goals and dishing out three assists. She came through when her team needed her again and again, but there was no greater moment than with just 29 seconds left in the first overtime. Adams earned a free position try with the sudden death format in effect and the next goal signaling victory. Despite the pressure, Adams delivered in the greatest moments and scored her second winner of overtime of the season.
ASU’s defense kept them in the game, especially during a high-intensity fourth quarter. They conceded just two goals to the Ducks in the fourth quarter and kept the game level despite multiple clutch stops that resulted in shot clock violations. Start defender Bella Kaspar, Gigi Kaspar, Sydney Payne, Paige McGlothlinand Berit Brookfield teamed with Katie Vahle to prevent the Ducks from ever taking the lead again.
The Sun Devils have a quick turnaround and play Colorado on Sunday, April 20 at 11:00 am MST in Boulder. Arizona State will make its third appearance on the Pac-12 Network this season when it faces the Buffaloes in a highly anticipated matchup.
The game remained balanced throughout the second half, with both teams exchanging runs to try and take control. In a 10-10 fight Katie Vahle came through with the biggest save of the day and gave her team a chance in overtime. Oregon forward Shonly Wallace, who has over 30 goals this season, had a shot from an open position against the Sun Devil goaltender. The three-time Pac-12 Defender of the Week was up to the task, delivering the massive save and collecting sure groundball to secure possession for her team.
- Arizona State is moving to 6-2 in the conference, the program’s best eight-game start in Pac-12 play.
- The six conference wins are the most the program has achieved in a single season, surpassing last year’s 5-4 mark, which was the previous record.
- It is only the fifth time in program history that the Sun Devils have played an overtime game.
- In overtime games, they are 4-1 all-time, including a 2-0 record this season.
- Carley Adams continues her tear and puts together another epic season in a Sun Devil uniform.
- She now has 35 goals and already has a career-best 21 assists.
- Her seven-point day is her seventh career 7+ point.
- In her last four games, the reigning Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week has accumulated 23 points.
- In her first two seasons, Adams played in 33 games and had 15 points (13 goals and 2 assists). She has 157 points (111 goals & 46 assists) in her last 38 games.
- Taylor Pinzone scored another hat-trick in a Sun Devil jersey.
- It’s her sixth 3+ goal performance this year.
- In 14 games of her Sun Devil career Taylor Pinzone already has 33 goals and eight assists (41 points).
- In 50 games with Northwestern, she had 34 goals and six assists (40 points).
- Emily Munro has enjoyed a lot of victories against her former team.
- Not only has she now been part of three straight wins against Oregon, but she was also a key contributor.
- In each of those three matchups, she has scored at least one goal and scored seven points.
- Arizona State has now defeated Oregon in five straight games dating back to the 2018 season.
Elder attacker Emily Munro
The team showed resilience
“That win was great for our team. We showed how resilient we are and we can keep up the whole game. We’ve been in this situation on the road before, so we really just showed ourselves how tough we are. “
About how special it is for them to have a huge impact on a win at Pape Field
“It was a very special game. I spent a lot of time on that field and it felt really good to be there with this team and to come away with a win.”
Like on playing with a teammate Carley Adams
“Carley is such a good teammate and fun to play with. She is so talented and I am so proud of her. She dug deep in that game and was able to score huge goals when we needed her.”
The second leg of the road trip takes the Maroon & Gold to Boulder where they will seek their first road win over Colorado in the Showdown on Sunday, April 17 at 12pm MST, which will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network. More information on how to watch the Buffaloes game can be found here, with live stats also available.
PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIP COMES TO TEMPE
Arizona State has been given the chance to host the 2022 Pac-12 Lacrosse Championships, which will be held May 4-7 in Tempe. Two first round matchups will take place on Wednesday, May 4th, followed by two semifinal showdowns on Thursday, May 5th. The Pac-12 Championship takes place after a day off and will be played on Saturday, May 7th at Sun Devil Lacrosse/Soccer Stadium. This is a way for the Sun Devils to control their own destiny, as victory in the Pac-12 Lacrosse Championships means automatic entry into the 2022 NCAA Lacrosse Tournament.
HOW TO FOLLOW
For in-game updates, follow our Twitter and Instagram accounts (@SunDevilWLax). Like our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/sundevilwlax/) for content throughout the season. Visit our website TheSunDevils.com for the latest updates and information about the program.